The Pier 2 Art Centre in Kaohsiung is a hub of outdoor and indoor art warehouse and museums set around an old and charming disused wharf. The wharf is now called the “Yencheng Passenger Wharf“.
The main building, The Pier 2 Warehouse, was once a used to store sugar, but now houses different contemporary art throughout the year. The surrounding grounds are full of modern art sculptures, statues and decorated buildings. There are miles of walking paths and a cycle path that cuts through the art district which adds to the fresh feel of the area.
Pier 2 is the best place in Kaohsiung for modern art fans, and the area is bustling with young art lovers and visitors.
The district comprises of not only the Pier 2 Warehouse, but several other art galleries and museums, which are all next to each other. Some of the other galleries are currently:
- Super Nature Conceptual Art of Mimicry Exhibition
- The Wall Live House
- Kaohsiung Museum of Labour
- Tung Fang Institute of Technology – Shigeo Fukuda Design Museum
- Mechanical Art on Component Street
- Great modern art, inside and outside
- Scenic surroundings
- Clever use of previously abandoned and disused space
- This is a great place to spend 1/2 – 1 day as there is lots to see.
- The exhibitions are always changing, so multiple visits are a must
- There are lots of nice walks and cycling routes around the surrounding area
How to get there:
Metro / Underground
- Take the Orange Line to Yanchengpu (02)
- Leave via Exit 1 and turn right
- Walk for 4 minutes and you are there
Total walk time 4 minutes
Address: 1 Da Yong Road (at the end of the road by Yencheng Passenger Wharf, port of Kaohsiung)