There is not much left of the Syongjhen North Gate Kaohsiung except the Arched Gateway and thick walls. It is worth a visit, but you can probably absorb it all within about 10 minutes. The area was built around 1875 and once used as a fort. However, the canons have since been removed. Bear in mind that this tourist attraction is a bit sparse.
- It’s attractive and is a historic relic
- The Gate is just at the entrance to SunYat Sen University and The Former British Consulate at Dagou, so it’s very convenient to view those on the same trip.
- There is not much left of this site, so it probably won’t take you more that 10 minutes viewing time.
Address: No.6, Lianhai Rd., Gushan District, Kaohsiung City
How to get there:
Metro / Underground
- Take the Orange Line and get off at Sizihwan (O1). Take exit 1.
- Head towards Kaohsiung Harbour and Sun Yat-Sen University (15 minutes).
Total Walk Time = 15 – 18 minutes
Extra Info: This is also known as Xiongzhen North Gate