The Former British Consulate is a beautiful place to visit. It’s the oldest western style building in Taiwan and dates back to about 1864. There are quite a lot of stairs to reach the main buildings. However, once you are there the views of Kaohsiung shoreline are amazing. This is recommended as a place to see.
- Beautiful views of Kaohsiung Shoreline
- Beautiful roof garden restaurant & cafe with panoramic views of Kaohsiung
- Souvenir shop
- Museum displaying the history of Kaohsiung
- There are lots of steps so you need to be of average fitness.
- The restaurant / café is quite expensive, so if you are on a budget then it’s best to bring your own refreshments.
- This is a good location to visit and is nearby the Sun-Yat Sen University, Syongihen Northgate, Sizihwan Bay, and Kaohsiung Harbour.
Address: No. 2 Sihwei 3rd Road, Lingya District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, 80203, R.O.C
How to get there:
Metro / Underground
- Take the Orange Line and get off at Station Sizihwan (O1)
- Follow the signs to the Harbour, and from there to the University / Consulate.
Total walk time: 20 minutes
Car / Scooter
- You can take a taxi from the Metro stop Sizihwan (O1)
- This is also known as the Former British Consulate at Takao
- Kaohsiung is twinned with the English city Liverpool. They currently have an exhibition in the main building celebrating Liverpool and the Beatles.