Guide to Teaching English in Taiwan
The great thing about teaching English in Taiwan, is that you do not need to have any teaching experience or any teaching qualifications.
For most schools you do not need even need a TEFL certificate. The schools hire you for being a Native English speaker.
It is prestigious for a school to advertise that they have native English teachers to teach their children.
What you will need:
- University Degree Certificate – there are some schools that will hire you even if you don’t have a degree but the majority of schools do require one.
- Native English Speaker – Countries that are normally preferred in most schools are: UK, IRE, USA, CAN, AUS, NZ, SA
- Although not needed, If you are concerned about TEFL certification, read the FREE TEFL Ebook by James Jenkins
- Average Salary: NT$500 – NT$700 per hour.
- Contract: Normally you will need to sign a one year’s contract. If you renew for a 2nd year then some schools may give a bonus. Most schools will also give an annual pay rise.
- Average Class Size: This depends on the type of school you decide to teach in. Small classes may have only 5 children and some classes may have up to 30 children. Adult classes tend to be smaller in size.
- At a Kindergarten you will work mainly in the mornings ranging from 15-20 hours per week.
- At a Cram School, you will work mainly in the evenings during the week and potentially Saturday’s. Hours can range from 15-30 hours per week.
- Universities (you can teach here if you have an MA or PH. D), hours will vary.
- International Schools (you can teach here if you are certified to teach at home) normally require the traditional 9 AM – 5 PM.
Why teach English in Kaohsiung?
Taipei is the most popular location for foreign teachers to teach English. As a consequence, there is a lot of competition.
However, not as many foreigners have heard of Kaohsiung in Southern Taiwan.
It’s the second largest city in Taiwan, and has one of the best climates with all year round sunshine.
The wages are often higher, and the cost of apartments are much lower than Taipei.
Furthermore, the local people in Kaohsiung are some of the friendliest you will ever meet.
Other reasons for teaching English in Kaohsiung include, it has it’s own airport which is 20 minutes on the metro from Kaohsiung City Centre.
List of English Schools in Kaohsiung, Taiwan:
- David’s English Center
- GVO – Global Village Organization
- GEOS Language Academy
- GRAM English Center
- Hess Educational Organization
- Ivy Language School
- Joy Children’s Language School
- Kaohsiung Municipal High School
- Kaohsiung American School (KAS)
- Kid Castle Language Schools
- KNS Language Institute
- KOJEN English School
- Morrison Academy Kaohsiung
- Schoolhouse Language Center
- Shane English School
- Wall Street Institute School of English
- Walton’s American School
- Wells English School