Information about Tax in Taiwan
The Taiwan tax year runs from 1st January – 31st December, and foreigners must reside in Taiwan for more than 183 days to qualify for the normal Taiwan Tax Rates (see below).
Therefore, arrivals after July 2nd cannot work more than 183 days and consequently will pay 20% tax for that tax year.
Working more more than 183 days within the Taiwan tax year qualifies for the normal Taiwan Tax Rates (see below) which range from 6% – 40% depending on earnings.
The majority of foreign teachers will pay between 6% – 13% as salary’s tend to be withing that bracket.
Foreign teachers can file their annual income taxes in the tax season from March 1 to May 31, and must also complete departure filing when they finish employment and leave Taiwan.
Annual Taiwan Income Tax Rate
- Up to NT$370,000 6%
- NT$370,001 to NT$990,000 13%
- NT$990,001 to NT$1,980,000 21%
- NT$1,980,001 – NT$3,720,000 30%
- NT$3,720,001+ 40%
Taiwan Tax Websites
- Taiwan Tax Administration (Official National Rate): Click Here
- Taiwan Corporate Rates: Click Here
Taiwan Tax Offices
- Kaohsiung Tax Office: Click Here
- Taichung Tax Office: Click Here
- ADDRESS: No.99, Sec.2, Wunsin RD., Taichung City, Taiwan
- E-MAIL: email@example.com Tel. 0800-086969 Service TEL: (04)22585000 FAX: (04)2251-6972
- Taipei Tax Office: Click Here